Our school district has been sending out surveys to get parent input on how the school year goes. We have about a month to go before when school is supposed to start. A month. We’ve been home for four months now, so this back-to-school date has kind of sneaked up on us.
I just don’t know about the kids going back to school. We’ve heard some mixed things about it. We were told by the state superintendent of education that schools starting would likely be delayed until September. But our governor, a guy who would eat his own feces if Trump told him to, is saying, “Nah, we’ll start on time.” And ultimately the districts have to do what he says.
We are thinking about doing the virtual charter school for LM. The bus he takes to school got canceled since it was for an arts program he is in, so getting him to school and then getting BG to her school would require a lot of driving and time. LM told us this week that he was torn on going back to the school anyway because he didn’t feel he got a lot out of the program. He got to do two or three 45-minute classes per week, and he was spending more more than twice as much time per week on the bus ride than he did in the classroom for the program.
I told him what his options are if he doesn’t want to go back to his current school (virtual or going to the school in our area, a school that isn’t nearly as nice as the current school) and to think about it. Virtual would be best right now, of course, but I don’t think he’ll have the option to go back to his current school later if he doesn’t like virtual or the other school.
As for the girl, she goes to a small charter school, and if we opted to hold her out for the virtual charter school (it’s a different charter school), then she wouldn’t get to go back. It’s tough, because after this pandemic is over, this is the school she 100% needs to be at. Smaller class sizes, supportive staff, plus we get to take her out early for therapies every week. As the principal said once, they can do things a bit differently since they’re a charter school, and there’s a lot that they can do there that wouldn’t happen at a large school. (Letting her switch schools temporarily wouldn’t be one of those options, though, because they can’t go without the funding they get for her.)
Assuming the state doesn’t smarten up and our district doesn’t get to go with the plans they want to enact, then we’ve got to decided between coronavirus exposure and her long-term education. Ugh.
On a different note, some of my family members got the virus, including my dad. Back in February, he was sounding the alarm over the virus and telling us to stockpile masks and other stuff. Once Trump started saying it was overblown and stuff, my dad quickly decided that the virus was a hoax created by China and the Deep State to control us. We thought things might change a bit when he got the virus, but he didn’t get that sick, so he decided that it’s still a hoax and other people are lying about how bad it is. He also thinks we’re going to be forced to be chipped.
That’s what is going through my head when he starts his messaging.