Blue Hair Don’t Care

My husband, whose blog you can check out and leave hate messages here, has what I consider outdated views on women and hair. Specifically, women’s hair.

Example: my best friend, who is 35, got her hair cut rather short recently. It was really long, platinum blonde, and now it’s about chin length with some auburn highlights. When I saw her, I told her how good it looked, because it did.

My husband to my friend: “Your hair looks great! It’s really age appropriate now.”

Silence. Deadly looksΒ were given.

“Well, thanks, I’m glad you think it’s age appropriate, Sam,” she told him in a steely voice.

He still doesn’t understand why that was an inappropriate thing to say, nor does he get why turning 30 doesn’t mean that a woman is forbidden from wearing her hair past her chin and having any color. And for any men reading this blog, just know that it is inappropriate, okay? No explanation should be needed here.

Fast forward to the past few days–I’ve been talking about doing something with my hair since it’s been at least six months since I had a trim. I’ve been wanting to get a little color added for years, ever since my stepsister had a few blue streaks in her hair, and I loved it. At the time, I thought that I was too oldΒ to do this since I was a mom in my mid to late 20s.

Well, I’m over 30 now and got some blue streaks put in my hair today. So bite me, age.

My husband “encouraged” me not to get the blue streaks. “You’re too old for that. It’s blue. That won’t look good.”

When I got home to proudly show of my new cut and blue, yet subtle, streaks, he said, “Well, it doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would.”

To which I say (not in front of the kids):

g1366572718398625785

In case you were wondering about the opinions of the rest of the family, Little Man was rather upset about it. “But you’re a mom! And your hair is blue! It’s not supposed to be!” He got over this in about two minutes, when he told me that he was really upset that we wouldn’t be “hair twins” anymore.

I fixed that with some dye that we had from last year when he wanted a blue mohawk that washes out in the shower, so yay, hair twins once again.

Baby Girl doesn’t seem to give a crap. I’m still “Woman With Milk” to her–no judgment.

Now I may go absolutely wild and paint my fingernails, something I haven’t done in 2-3 years. πŸ˜‰

Advertisements

52 thoughts on “Blue Hair Don’t Care

1. I like colored hair when done well. I despise colored hair when it’s done badly, or really, overdone. Anything that makes hair look like straw is no good. And it’s not helpful to a bad make-up job…It’s like everything else, subjective.
    I’ve had chin length hair or longer all my life. It’s been long for … seven years? I do not plan to cut it to something age-appropriate rages No, I will be an old lady with long hair. Sometimes I even wear it in a bun, which is something I’ve done since I was three, thank you very much. Maybe one day it will be a silver bun, but it is who I am. Perhaps when I’m 80 I will feel funky and paint a stripe of color through it, I don’t know. Who cares this much about other peoples’ hairs?!?
    I will never be a wash n’ set lady, I’ll tell you that much. Some of us were never meant to have short hair.

Liked by 1 person

2. Have you been to WriterInSoul’s blog? She’s doing an ongoing, short blurb post, series about “Things Men Have Said to Me.” Your husband’s comment would fit in beautifully. πŸ™‚ https://writerinsoul.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/things-men-have-said-to-me-21/

You just turned 30, right? If your husband is about the same age, please know that men are about 10 years behind women socially, their entire lives. Bless their little hearts…. (a phrase I picked up in Kentucky)

Liked by 3 people

3. Wow I’m 40 and I would totally do the blue hair don’t care if I knew my hair could handle it. Yep he needs to get with the program lol and my friend who’s 37 recently died her hair purple with blue and he was a blonde. Her hubby wasn’t for it for same reasons then he saw her and changed his tune. Lol men πŸ˜‰

Liked by 2 people

4. SD Gates says:

When I hit about 40, my hair went from a dark red, to strawberry blond, and now it is a platinum blond. All those years of telling blond jokes have really come back to bite me in my ass. Tried to dye it back, turns out that is quite impossible, because my hair does not hold dye. So I think I am going to grow my hair super, super long and wear Hello Kitty ribbons. I will be the crazy ‘ole lady down the street with the witch’s hair, and I am going to wear purple and just be kooky!!!
    PS. I think if you get your nails done, you should get sparkly things all over them.

Liked by 2 people

• SD Gates says:

Yes, that’s what it’s called. Little bedazzle things. Problems is, if I had those kind of things on my fingers, I would probably be watching them sparkling in the sun and then I would walk into stuff.

Liked by 1 person

• SD Gates says:

Yes, it is a good thing I had boys, because I can barely get my own hair brushed in the morning. If I had to match socks and accessories and outfits for daughters, it would have been really bad!

• Anxious Mom says:

No joke, I was terrified when I found out we were having a girl. I don’t do the girl thing much at all…make up, dressing nicely, etc. Fortunately my husband handles picking out her cute outfits! When I dress her, I just put on the zipper one-piece PJs because that’s easy.

Liked by 1 person

• SD Gates says:

My husband is the clothes horse too. Are Hello Kitty jammies acceptable. It makes me laugh, because I told your husband on his blog, it is a good thing we don’t have any friends to go out with because then I would have to decide which pair of sweat pants I would wear (I have two, one has bleach spots on it, the other has no bleach spots, but the elastic is falling out. Hmm? Which would I choose? Teehee.

Liked by 2 people

• Anxious Mom says:

Bwahaha! That’s so funny considering he made me throw out my pair of shorts that the elastic is broken in a few weeks ago πŸ˜€

Liked by 2 people

5. lol … Tell your hubby that he’s the reason that at age 49 I remain in rebellion mode & refuse to chop off my hair. Actually, in his defense, I’ve had over a dozen women approach me. They deliver a backhanded compliment saying ” oh, your hair is so long & pretty”. It’s then following by one of several insults … “I would cut it though”. …. at your age. or … it would make you look younger orit would make you look thinner. Well, forget that. I’m in rebellion mode. I refuse to cut my long locks. They’re growing long & silver & c’ est la vie. lol

Liked by 2 people

6. I have never understood the concept of “age appropriate” hair…or much of anything else. If I was truly supposed to have shorter hair because I turned 40, my hair would have started breaking off once it got to chin length. What an arbitrary and silly notion that our society has dreamed up that hair length (or style) and age have anything to do with one another.

Liked by 2 people

• Anxious Mom says:

Ha, the visual of waking up at a certain age and hair breaking off. I can understand the color part to an extent (not that i agree) but length? I’d go nuts if I couldn’t do a ponytail on these humid days we get.

7. Visiting from A-Z. Enjoyed your post. Please tell your husband I’m 47 and haven’t cut my hair since I graduated from college. I’d throw in some color streaks if I thought it wouldn’t horrify my kids (actually all the more reason). It probably helps that I’m the entertainment editor at a local newspaper. Looking a bit hippyish fit the job title.

Liked by 1 person

• Anxious Mom says:

Wow! That’s a long time (assuming you graduated in your early 20s like me). How long is it?

Jealous of your job, would love to do that!

8. Love this! About a months before my 40th birthday, I decided I needed to go platinum. I had always wanted to try it, and figured that after 40 I would be “too old.” It was a freaking disaster. I don’t know if I thought I would look cute and punk or like Daenerys Targaryen. I tried to cover it up in under a month, but it was too stripped to hold color.
    My daughter would love blue. Blue = mermaid color.

Liked by 1 person

• Anxious Mom says:

Oh no! I hope it’s back to normal now. Gotta love the things we do for those milestone bdays haha (mine involved tattoos for 30).

πŸ˜ƒ and its more of a real blue too, works even better for the mermaid thing.

Write Some Words, Yo

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w