D is for Dating, Lord of the Rings Style

Continuing my theme of “Nerd Life,” I’m going to share a nerdy dating story. Grab the tissues and the vomit pail while you can, because you’re in for one heck of a ride.

I’ve mentioned on this blog before that I met my husband online. I may or may not have mentioned my Lord of the Rings obsession 132 times.

For anyone who isn’t familiar with our Nora Ephron-inspired love story, he was 25 and I was 19 when we met in a politics chatroom on Yahoo, where we shared a mutual love for berating President Bush. (Before you get pissy about that, just know that I’m willing to berate anyone. Even you. <Insert Smeagol’s smoker’s laugh.>)

Here’s the short version, since it’s Saturday, you have other A to Z posts to read, last-minute Easter candy to purchase and perhaps overnight to me, etc.:

Screenshot 2015-04-04 at 2.25.50 AM

And the not-so-short version:

Amazingly, this guy lived in the same town as me, just a few miles away. Not so amazingly, it took forever to get to the love part of the story.

Want to know how I knew he could be The One (That I Date For More Than A Month)? We both loved The Lord of the Rings. I didn’t know anyone else who was that into it and lo and behold, here is someone else who has their own collection of action figures, just like me, and doesn’t seem to be a creep. Score!

When Return of the King came out at the movies, he hinted about us going to see it together.

“So, you said you wanted to see ROTK? I want to see it, too,” he said.

In my typical clueless fashion, I said, “Cool, let me know what you think if you see it before I do.” I liked him, but I was convinced that there was no way he liked me. He later told me that this was one of the many hints he dropped that I didn’t pick up on to see if I was interested in more than just chatting online.

Finally, he asked me out using direct words (Do you want to go out?) and I accepted. We saw The Passion of the Christ. (FYI: that’s not a movie you want to go see on a first date.)

As we started seeing each other more, which I refer to as dating even though it was really non-romantic for a few months, we would often go to different stores to search for new toys for our LOTR collections.

Finally, after a couple of ducked kiss attempts, we did start getting romantic (bow chicka wow wow), and were in love quicker than Gandalf could say “Fly, you fools.” We would refer to each other as my precious and my love. Yes, I understand if you need to take a second to fight back the bile that’s trying to escape.

And then, a few months after we started for-real dating, Sam gave me a 10-inch Gandalf the Grey figure for Christmas. That’s not romantic, you say? Well, he had opened mine, thus ruining the potential for it to have value in 50 years I suppose, and put a diamond promise ring on the staff with a small note that said he wanted us to get married.

Boom, that’s how you officially win a girl’s heart. Mine, anyway.

Admit it, this is you right now:

Zw97w

Feel free to comment with your own dating stories, nerdy or not, romantic or not.

Advertisements

41 thoughts on “D is for Dating, Lord of the Rings Style

1. That’s a lovely story LM… pass me the sick bucket!! Only joking, really, it sounds like a great way to start a relationship, mine usually ended up in bed… a bit like opening Christmas presents too soon

Liked by 2 people

2. SD Gates says:

Ha!!! That’s the nerdiest dating story I have ever heard, but very cool. I met my husband in the Officer’s club in Japan. We started talking about dogs, he was a golden retriever lover, I was a Great Dane lover. It was love at first site. Our dates consisted of taking several thousand yen out of the ATM and either going into Tokyo or out to Yokosuka to piss it away. Or going to the Japanese Denny’s and buying multiple plates of food in an effort to find something that resembled American food. Those were the days. Our first son was born in Japan. The kids in Elementary school used to be puzzled by this, because they said he didn’t look Japanese. Kids – you gotta love them. Anyway, that is our Lost in Translation dating story.

Liked by 2 people

• Anxious Mom says:

😀 Aw thanks for sharing your story, so sweet! That’s funny, thinking back on that line from the movie Mean Girls where the girl from South Africa was asked, “If you’re from Africa, why are you white?”

Liked by 2 people

3. NotAPunkRocker says:

OK, very huge coincidence that I wrote about giving up on dating completely today?

Guess my downfall was not liking LoTR.

Forever alone.

(love the bedroom decor!)

Liked by 2 people

• Anxious Mom says:

You’re going to make me look this up and have more HP knowledge than I’m comfortable with, aren’t you?

• NotAPunkRocker says:

Well, if its any consolation, I am playing LEGO The Hobbit, so I am now an expert on them (not)

• Anxious Mom says:

Even my Hobbit love has its limits…I cannot do those Lego games. (Is this grounds for being deleted?)

• NotAPunkRocker says:

Those Lego games, or any? Think carefully…

(It was ten bucks on sale online, I hit 96% on Batman and needed something to do)

• NotAPunkRocker says:

The new one comes out in June, I think? I may see my kid come home just for that. Of course, Mortal Kombat is this week or next, so…I’ll be back on here eventually.

• Anxious Mom says:

No idea, I hadn’t played any of the Arkham games before. It is a good substitute for Dead Rising 3 though, which I don’t think is on PS or I haven’t found it anyway. I need GTA.

Did you hear that there is a survival rapture game coming out this year??

• NotAPunkRocker says:

Ahem you need a PS4!

No, I hadn’t heard. I am just getting used to the system that I am only now looking to new releases, coming soons, etc.

• Anxious Mom says:

Ahem, I bought one this past week after selling my XBOX 😀 (I don’t think I’ve ever had a system I disliked as much as that thing.)

That could be very interesting. Might secure my place in hell if I get it, though.

• NotAPunkRocker says:

Um, we need to be friends on yet another social/gaming platform. Same as my WWF name, actually 😀 (see how I didn’t ask and just told you to do such!)

Liked by 1 person

• Anxious Mom says:

I live for the blood and gore. I spent more hours than I care to admit killing people on the GTA game I had on my ps2 when I was in high school. Still wanna be friends? 😉

• NotAPunkRocker says:

Sure. The new MK trailer is pretty bloody,so I am not against it. Sometimes I just need to beat the hell out of Captain America, that’s all.

• Anxious Mom says:

That doesn’t sound very patriotic 😜 Now I’m tempted to check this out so I can see how beating the hell out of an all American hero feels.

Write Some Words, Yo

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w